Saturday 26 March 2011

On the March

An acquaintance works as head of education at a London local authority. He tells me that the main hospital in his borough has to make cuts of £60m next year and that wards will have to close. He went on to say that today's protest march at the cuts will be as nothing compared to what next year's march will be like. I told him that as the government are increasing spending each year it was impossible to understand why the hospital would need to close wards and that it makes me extremely angry that the last government so mismanaged the country's finances. My acquaintance seemed to think that what the government is doing is appalling which also made me angry. What about a bit of humility and what about a bit of gratitude to those of us in whose pockets he and his ilk have their hands to pay for their high end salaries. I am made even more cross by the people passing by my window carrying banners to the march. They were responsible for voting in the Labour government and neither they nor any Labour politician has had the decency to apologise for the incredible mess in which they have left this country. Shame on them. I would go out and shout at them and call them scum but the last time I exercised my right of free speech at demonstrators I was told in no uncertain manner by the police that if I didn't stop they would arrest me for breach of the peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment